Radical Cystectomy Instructions
Dr. Lerner will be pre-admitting you to the hospital one prior to your surgery for intravenous hydration/antibiotics and bowel preparation.
One day prior to you procedure, you must call White Plains Hospital Admitting and ask for bed control, at 914-681-1140. They open at 8am and will give you a bed assignment and tell you what time to come into the hospital.
If for some reason you are not assigned a bed by 11:00 a.m., please call our office 914-949-7556 and speak with Debbie Finateri and she will assist you with the hospital.
While waiting for your bed the day prior to surgery, you will start a clear liquid only diet first thing in the morning (no solid breakfast) which will help prepare the bowel for surgery:
- Fruit Juices: Apple, White Grape Juice, Gatorade, Orange juice (no pulp)
- Coffee: Black only (granular sugar or sugar substitute ok)
- Soups: Broth, bouillon, consomme’
- Desserts: Flavored gelatins, fruit flavored ices, popsicles.
- No milk or milk products are allowed. This diet does not meet the recommended dietary allowances of the National Research Council for any nutrient.
At 1:00 p.m. on the day before surgery, please take one bottle of Citrate of Magnesium. This may be purchased at your local pharmacy and does not require a prescription. Follow the instructions on the bottle (best if refrigerated).
Once admitted to the hospital, you will complete the rest of your pre surgical preparation/medications.